Tuesday, August 17, 2010

links for 2010-08-17: Future of JavaFX; OpenSolaris is dead

  • Enterprise Applications are Good Candidates for Using JavaFX - Highlights the pros/cons of JavaFX and gives it 6-12 months to address the cons.
  • Oracle apparently shuts doors on OpenSolaris - It isn't a surprise, but is unfortunate.  With source code only making it to the community after the commercial Solaris is released, it appears Solaris is now headed for "Visible Source", not open source.  Some of the comments are telling; "Here I was just getting started with OpenSolaris for my home server because of ZFS and all the wonderful features it has. I had figured if I can make it work at home, I would try to bring it in to the company. Now that OpenSolaris is dead and it looks like Solaris is encumbered with support licenses I don’t know how easy it will be to have them switch."

No comments:

Post a Comment